Monday, February 25, 2008

after the Oscars...

Even though last night's Oscars weren't the best Oscar telecast EVER... they were still way more enjoyable than a silly montage of Oscar clips would have been if the strike didn't end and also WAYY WAYY WAY more fun than that "Golden Globes" telecast was.

So I got all my big predictions correct except for Best Actress. I changed my vote from Julie Christie to Ellen Page, ONE) because after seeing 'Away From Her' I liked Page's performance better. TWO) because I really hated Julie Christie's audio commentary. Did I mention that in yesterday's post? I'm not really sure... but her commentary was so bad it's worth speaking of again. My movie business class professor told me I should start youtube videos discussing the audio commentaries for films, specifically Oscar nominated ones... this idea could actually go somewhere. For now though, I'll just write about it.

Ms. Christie, or Julie as I like to call her, yes we are friends and on a first name basis... as I am with all of the Oscar noms from last night... had nothing valuable to say in her audio commentary. Granted I could only watch/listen for about 20 minutes before giving up, but she was just awful giving no insight into how she worked with any of her cast members... now maybe I should have listened more.. to see if she ever did say anything, but if you don' talk about them within the first twenty minutes of commentary, I doubt you will. The only spoken word about any of her co-stars was about Olympia (Dukakis). NOT ONE SINGLE WORD ABOUT GORDON PINSENT. HELLOOOO. You had to SPOON with the man... and NOTHIING!? no, 'hey, Gordon and I laughed a lot during this scene and had to do it multiple times'... or 'Gordon was a wonder to work with'... NOTHING.

And then Julie complained about not wanting to do this film. She said she was obviously glad she did... but she was really opposed to it because she didn't like the cold... (she has scenes skiing and laying in the snow) and she didn't want to learn 'Canadian.' I didn't realized 'Canadian' was a language you had to learn Julie... Yes she claifys herself and mentions learning the 'Canadian' accent. But really, you're now nominated for an Oscar... you shouldn't be complaining about anything, Julie!

I bed half a dozen other older actresses wouldn't have minded at all to have to pick up a 'Canadian' accent for a role... God only knows how many Daniel Day-Lewis has had to learn... and look at him, he's grateful.

SO, I'm going to get off of my soap box now... I hope you all enjoyed the telecast... and are anxiously awaiting the start of this year's Oscar race/season!

No comments: