Sunday, October 05, 2008

great sequels

I've decided to write a little something about the best sequels out there that DID deserve to get made. As I sat and watched "Father of the Bride" this morning on TV, I found myself hoping that as the ending approached "Father of the Bride: Part 2" would come on after. Much to my disappointment, The Encore Love channel decided to throw my dreams out the window and play "The Fugitive." Not that I don't like the Fugitive, but after "Father of the Bride," I want to watch the sequel!

So here's a list of my favorite, watch-worthy sequels.
- "Father of the Bride: Part 2" -Who doesn't want to see a pregnant Diane Keaton, Kimberly Williams and a funny Martin Short doing pre-natal exercises to a ridiculously good workout plan by Franc? While this sequels story line of Mother and Daughter having babies at the same time, it's a happy and fun movie to sit through. You don't ever think that they shouldn't have made this film! I can't get enough.

-"My Girl 2" - I sometimes want to watch this one over "My Girl" because I know I'll cry my eyes out over the first one. But this sequel is genuine and as audience members, we want to see teenage Vada Sultenfuss grow up some more and see how she's coping with Thomas J's death down the road. We get to see her travel to CA to find out more about her mother and all in love with her not-really-related cousin, pierce her ears without permission! and lose her Thomas J mood ring (or so she thinks) in that weird dinosaur tar pit. I love me some "My Girl 2." Plus, the soundtrack made me fall in love with the Steve Miller Band song "Swingtown."

- "Toy Story 2" - We all know how those Disney sequels can go. This one surpasses them all and sticks true to the original's charm.

Here's some that are automatically on this list... "Star Wars Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back," "The Godfather Part II," "The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers" ( and that goes for "Epidode VI" and "The Return of the King") "Back to the Future 2," and I'm skipping over "Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom" to "Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade." Because let's be honest, "Doom" has the most annoying sidekicks ever to grace a sequel.

So bust out those series and enjoy the first movies and then these great sequels!

No comments: