Sunday, October 26, 2008

my peaceful, happy place.

I am addicted to the movies. This is nothing new to the people who know me best. But i realized how calm and happy I was last night after I got home from the movies last night. Some could say it was because the movie I had just seen had a happy ending, and sure, I'm not as happy when I come home after a depressing movie, but I am calm... like I've just gotten my fix. And that's just what going to the movies is for me, it's even more calming than M&Ms! I know, this is another shocker.

Everyone on earth has that thing that they have to do. Well for me, it's going into that theatre and waiting for them to turn the lights off. To watch something that's bigger than myself and something that will bring me into another world. It's like my therapy. I love sitting in those seats, no matter how much my butt falls asleep... and sure, there are some seats in certain theatres I've been too that I wouldn't mind if I never sat in them again, but most of the time, I love those seats. My favorite is when no one is sitting in front of me so I can put my feet up or not worry about kicking the seat when the aisle is too small for my long legs.

And then the previews start. They are just as much fun as the movie itself, because I get to plan out my future! Decide which ones I want to see and which to skip. And finally the movie starts. At first I get agitated if the people around me aren't quiet by the time the 20th Century Fox music plays. But I know for most, people think this is still free range talk time. And for an hour and a half, 2 hours, whatever, I don't have to talk to ANYONE. I can just sit there and observe. I turn my phone on silent and I don't worry about if I've been sent a text or missed a phone call. It's like a need my weekly fix of the movies, I can't live without them. I LOVE IT.

I believe that this is why I get so angry when the people around me are talking. I just want to watch the movie in peace and quiet. It's especially annoying when it's not just teenagers talking, the adults should know better than this. And I'm not judging the old people who are trying to whisper, even though they should know not to talk either, but because they do not realize the volume of their voices. I've had first hand experience with my own grandma on this one in the last James Bond flick.

So others may go to the gym for therapy, others go to actual therapy, others like to walk when they want their peace and quiet, so I am telling you fine people of America, that the movie theatre is my safe haven. So please respect those of us who treat the movies like this and be quiet!

I love the movies. LOVE LOVE LOVE going and sitting in the dark theatre. I seriously get itchy for the movies when I haven't been in a while. You may say that I'm pathetic, or a dork? But I would beg to differ. Well I am a dork. I'll give you that one.

So take some time out today to think of that one thing that makes you oh so happy.

No comments: